Spanish Teaching BA and Minor

Spanish Teaching Major

Frequently-Asked Questions

Q: How do I become a Spanish Teaching major?

The Spanish Teaching major is a limited enrollment program, which means that you must apply for admission to the program. Before applying, however, you must complete FLANG 276 (Exploration of Teaching Foreign Languages), offered on the first block during Fall and Winter semesters. Immediately upon completion of FLANG 276 you may apply to the Spanish Teaching major through mYlink. The application procedure is explained during FLANG 276.

Q: Are there courses that I need to take in a particular sequence?

Yes. Starting with graduating and moving backward:

  • In your last semester you will complete student teaching (SPAN 476) or a year-long internship (SPAN 496).
  • In the semester immediately prior to student teaching, you will complete the practicum (SPAN 380). The practicum must be taken the semester before student teaching. It is strongly recommended that you also take SPAN 378 (Spanish Teaching Methods 2) this semester. The two courses are often taught back-to-back by the same instructor.
  • Most students take SPAN 377 (Spanish Teaching Methods 1) the semester before taking 378, although it may be taken earlier.

Please note that the above courses are offered Fall and Winter only.

Q: I’m close to graduating and am just now applying to the Spanish Teaching major. In order to save time and graduate sooner, can I take SPAN 377 before being admitted to the major, or take SPAN 377 and 378 the same semester?

No. SPAN 377, 378 and 380 are open only to students who have already gone through the application process and been admitted to the major (or who are minoring in Spanish Teaching). SPAN 377 is a prerequisite for 378 and 380. In addition, SPAN 377 and 378/380 are generally offered during the same hour, so it is not possible to take them simultaneously.

Please understand that a minimum of four semesters are required to complete this major. If you apply to the major late in your academic career, you may not be able to graduate when you had originally intended.

Q: Under special circumstances, can I waive SPAN 377 and/or 378 or substitute another class?

Generally, no. SPAN 377 and 378 are the core courses for the Spanish Teaching major and cannot be waived. The only exception to this policy is that for students who are minoring in teaching another foreign language, it may be possible to substitute the 377 methods class in that language for SPAN 377. Please contact the program coordinator for the Spanish Teaching major for more information.

Q: I’ve already taken SPAN 376. Can I substitute it for 377 or 378?

No. SPAN 376 is a different course with a different textbook and different content that is geared toward non-teaching majors. It does not address the public school teaching context that is addressed in 377 and 378.

Q: Can I request a student teaching placement at a specific school?

The student teaching application in mYlink allows you to specify whether you prefer to teach high school or middle/junior high school, as well as to list the five school districts in the BYU-Public School Partnership (Jordan, Alpine, Provo, Nebo, Wasatch) in order of preference. The department will do its best to accommodate your preferences, but it may not be possible to place you in the district or at the level of your first choice due to limitations in the number of placements available and competition from other universities in placing student teachers.

Q: What’s the difference between student teaching and an internship?

Student teaching (SPAN 476, 12 credits) is a full-time, semester-long placement in the classroom of a mentor teacher. Student teachers are expected to be at their school during contract hours, arriving at their school and leaving at the same times as their mentor teacher. Students are discouraged from taking other classes or working at another job while student teaching. Special scholarships are available to students during the semester they student teach (see

In an internship (SPAN 496, 12 credits), a student intern is hired for a full year by a middle/junior high school or high school as a full-time teacher. Interns generally have their own classroom and are assigned an experienced teacher as a mentor. Interns are paid a salary equal to half that of a licenced teacher. Internships are relatively uncommon, as they are contingent on the needs of local schools.

Click here to see program requirements

Congratulations Class of 2020!